Tabs

 photo 225pxtab_zps3ab577af.png photo hometab_zpsc4ac9db1.png photo MMtab_zps84d1465f.png photo sisterselktab_zps4aeded4a.png photo ibelievetab_zps8c2c9788.png photo abouttab_zps2ebe1350.png photo 225pxtab_zps3ab577af.png

Wednesday 25 March 2015

Vernal, Utah - it's as hick as it sounds!

Yup....Vernal Utah. The farthest area from the mission president right next to the Colorado border. A nice little town covered in trailer houses, where people think it is ok to decorate with garbage, and where the only kind of dress pants people own are khaki pants....hahaha It has been an adventure. To be honest, I didn't know that this part of Utah even existed.....feels like a whole different state here!
This week has been a bit of a tough one. Saying goodbye to my district on Tuesday was so hard. They picked me up around 4 on Tuesday and we went right over to the Mission President's house to have supper. It was pretty hard being with a bunch of missionaries who I didn't know, so we are just going to skip over the rest of that night.
Wednesday we had some training at the church and then we found out who our trainers would be and what area we would be in. Sister Wagner is my trainer. She has been out for 7 1/2 months, and has A LOT of energy (still trying to adjust to that). We drove the 3 hours to Vernal after that and got right to work. That afternoon we went to our first lesson, which consisted of us having to go off-roading through a field to get to the house, and on the way out to the house we ran into the dad and kids picking up scarp metal in the field (If that doesn't give you any indication of what it is like in Vernal I don't know what will). So Hick!!! I was a little worried about this at first, but I can tell you that I have been so blessed-I love the people here. They are definitely unique, but I love them. Pretty much all the people we are teaching at the moment are less-active members. We finally got to the house for that first lesson and I could feel the spirit so strong. This particular family has been going through some pretty difficult times, but I could feel the Lord's love for them, and it felt so good to testify that I knew that the Lord was watching out for them. The mom just looked at us while we were there and said, "Don't give up on me." Ahhh. It was so cool to hear that. It was a pretty neat first experience.
Thursday was a pretty normal day of teaching lessons and studying etc. But there is this couple we are teaching-the Reynolds, who remind me so much of the Olsen's in our ward. They told us this week that they set a temple date to be sealed on April 11, so we are extremely stoked for that. Our adventure of the week consisted of us driving around Vernal at 10:30 at night in desperate need for a toilet plunger....!! hahah Sister Wagner has some serious allergies and issues with her bowels and so that has brought some fun times....
We got to do some service at a horse stable on Friday- Basically I spent the hour brushing horses and realizing how much I really don't like horses....they freak me out. 
Sidenote: you know you are serving in Utah when you eat cafe rio 2x in one week......I'm starting to worry that all my working out at the MTC is going to go down the drain here. Pray for me.
Saturday I got to experience some pretty awkward door approaches...hahahah oh boy, we are going to have to work on those! And we also got to help a lady tie some quilts.
Sunday was a good time at church....I don't really have a lot to say about that? We had two lessons last night. One was with the Short's family-again they are extremely hick, but they have a 9 year old son who is SO smart!!! It blows my mind! He has read the Book of Mormon Stories twice now because he just loves them so much! You couldn't help but feel his spirit just jumping out of him. We set a baptismal date for him on April 18! So Stoked.
Well, it has been a bit of a struggle here in Vernal. It has been hard not being in Portugal and sometimes it wears on me even though I try not to let it, but in every lesson I instantly become happy and excited to be here, so that has definitely been a blessing. I am so grateful that I can be a missionary. It's an incredible opportunity to feel Christ's love for his Children. Oh, by the way! Guess who gets home from his mission this week!!! Jacob?!?!?! Is that not crazy! It blew my mind!
Anyways, I love you guys a bunch. Rents- it looks like you had so much fun on your cruise! So awesome! I love hearing from you all, if you want to send me mail here in Vernal, this is the Address:
85 N 600 E
Provo, Utah 84606
Have a great Week! Amo Voces!
-Sister Selk
Sister Wagner and Cafe Rio

No comments:

Post a Comment